Why should I trim my wick to 1/4" before lighting a candle?
- Trimming the wick prevents soot and producing a flame that is too high and too hot. Trim your wick -every- time you relight your candle! If you don't have a wick trimmer, nail clippers work great!
What is a melt pool and why do you say to let it reach the edge of the jar before putting out my candle?
- The melt pool is the melted portion of wax at the top of the candle where the scent is being burned. If you put out your candle before it melts all the way to the edge, it will "tunnel". This is when there is wax left on the sides as it continues to burn downward - a frustrating problem that everyone has encountered with candles!
Why do I have to put out my candle when there is still a 1/2 inch of wax left? I don't want to waste it.
- By letting the candle burn all the way to the bottom, you risk the jar overheating and shattering. If you really don't want to waste any wax, take a look at our tutorial videos where you can find out how to re-purpose it.
What kind of wax is in Electric Notes candles?
- The candles are made with a parasoy wax blend.
What is parasoy wax?
- Parasoy wax is a general term used to describe a blend of soy and paraffin waxes. Soy increases the burn time and paraffin allows for stronger scents. Our supplier is not obligated to reveal the ratios in their wax as it is a proprietary blend, however, there is more soy than paraffin in the wax we use.
But isn't paraffin toxic? Aren't 100% soy candles better?
- No! This is a marketing myth with no scientific backing. The fully refined paraffin used to make wax is non-toxic and food grade. (If you've eaten apples or peppers from the grocery store, you've probably eaten it many times!) As a petroleum by-product, it is non-renewable, however soy is renewable!
Do you use fragrance oils or essential oils? Aren't essential oils cleaner to burn?
- We use fragrance oils. Essential oils being better is actually another myth as they have lower flash points and therefore pose a greater fire risk. There's no such thing as a "clean burn" with scented candles because at the end of the day, the oil, wax, and wick are all being put into the air by means of combustion and we are then breathing in that air. Like most pleasures in life - use candles in moderation! (In a well-ventilated space)
How long do your candles burn?
- A 7 oz. candle provides about 40 hours of burn time.
I accidentally trimmed my wick too short/put out my candle too early and it isn't burning properly. Can I fix this or is my candle ruined?
- Yes, you can fix it! Check out our tutorial page to find out how.
How much does shipping cost?
- Shipping costs depend on the weight of your order (i.e. how many candles you buy). Shipping starts at a flat rate of $8.00 for smaller orders. Feel free to use the contact form if you have questions.
Do you ship internationally?
- We do ship internationally for packages under 4 lbs. (This means up to 3 or 4 candles.) Shipping costs for Canada start at $15.00 USD and the rest of the world starts at $22.00 USD. Hopefully we can find a way to offer more affordable international shipping in the future!
Do you do custom orders?
- Yes! Head over to the contact page to make a request and send in your ideas.
Do you take wholesale orders?
- We do not offer wholesale at the moment, but we hope to have this option in the future!